Share this blog with your friends and well-wishers!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

What's your "Thinking Language"?











For more fun posts on a daily basis, do follow me on Twitter Twitter Id: @gopinathmm

We are encountered with the question “How many languages do you know?” in a form for employment, it is accompanied by a grid “Read – Write – Speak”. One is expected to tick-mark the grid to indicate one’s proficiency in the listed languages. However, there ought to be one more – “Think”. Just think about it! Which language do you think in? If you think in any one of those languages and speak in the other, chances are you’re producing some top-class humour for us to counter the burden of stress in our lives!

Most of the mistakes – allow me to call them mistakes for the moment – in language usage - because of thinking in one language and speaking in another! Although modern day language is tolerant in which the world brushes aside wrongful constructs in language with the broad stroke of the “trendy” wave sweeping our tongues! There is no such thing as “wrong English” today! Only the ‘new norm’ – an equivalent of the American “new normal” in financial economic trends! A euphemism to lowering standards, I suppose?!

The new normal or norm is the ratification of what was considered wrong some years ago. Now, now – I say some years “ago” – when the world has gratefully accepted “some years back”! Back in my childhood days, “some years back” would have seen my back against a wall as punishment or maybe I would be lumped back home, I don’t know… but not so today! It is the new norm! But I digress – my post is not about correct or wrong language – but about the language in which we think!

Ok, so we have a language in which we think and chances are we choose only one amongst the languages that we speak, read and write – only one! I learnt about this when I was in school – my English teacher, Leela Rebello (nee Yellur) – we called her Yellur-miss, told us:
“If you want to improve your English – Think in English!”

Now that was something! Didn’t we all think in English, I wondered? We spoke our mother-tongue at home – Konkani for me – Gujarati, Marathi, Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam and so on, for my classmates. We learnt English, Marathi, Hindi and French in school. So which language did we unconsciously choose to think in?

It invariably turned out to be the language we learnt in our early days – our mother tongue! So we had great fun in school where some one would exclaim: “See - the rain is falling!”, when all that was to be said was “Look, its raining!”. So the Marathi “Pavoos Padto” or closer to me, the Konkani “Paavsu Padtaa” became “Rain is falling” Our teacher was right! The language we spoke was just a translation of what we thought in our mother-tongue and dutifully translated in the language we were speaking in! And thereby produced some national humour for everyone to laugh at!

“Fun happened at her birthday party!”, “Problem became in class”, “They are removing photos of everyone for IDs” and many such gems were contributed to the national cause of reducing stress-related diseases in our country by these epic utterances! These are classic cases of thinking in our mother-tongue and speaking in English! Of course, we did not stop at this kind of mistakes and produced more gems – like some of my friends would advise the other “Don’t say ‘removing photos’ it’s wrong – say they are ‘photo-takeouting’, na baba!”

OK, so we were creative in our days back then, when it came to producing some hilarious (albeit, wrong) language. Back then a trend began where wrong usage like “Open the doors of the windows and let the atmosphere come in” kind of-coinage is so popular that it even today’s youngsters swear their professors said it! Like we did!

The Chinese today are grappling with the same problem as they embark on the task to conquer the English language for better global prospects – where the meaning of the message is altogether lost. Several posters are found where the reader is lost – “lost in translation” as they say. But we Indians lost nothing – only just found – “found in translation” – great gems of humour.

My friends on FB are quick to point out how news readers ask “What’s your sense on this?” when they actually mean “What is your opinion on this?” or “At this point in time” which used to be simply “now” in the good old days and many more such ‘trending’ habits that have influenced our language today. But then, one wonders if these are from some other Indian languages, I am not familiar with? If not, maybe it deserves another post – for there are many of this kind!

I hope by reading this post, you’d say, “Fun came, no”?! as in, Kyoon, Maja aaya na?

Blogger’s Post-Script: 1. If you know such classic cases of "Found-in-Translation", do post them in the comments column - lets have a compendium of these!
I will not remind you againg - or else you will say "You are behind me!" -eeks another!

2. I attribute the gems of advice given by my teachers, like Yellur-miss in school – St Lawrence High School, Santacruz (W) Mumbai - as those that made me what I am today. I just cannot thank them enough!


Edited to add: Ms. Jyoti Divgi has sent in these Puneri gems:
1. His cycle went to chori
2. Dont speak in front of my back!
Thanks, Jyoti - waiting for many more from all of you!

11 comments:

mantis said...

Yellur-miss is correct when she says, “If you want to improve your English – Think in English!”.

"Think" should and does come before "Speak", "Read", and "Write". Why are only politicians exempt from this rule?

Thinking can be in the form of other forms of meaning and senses such as sound, smells, and images. Thinking need not be grammatically correct (sorry, contradicts Yellur-miss). Is that why we may not say what we mean, and then, get misunderstood?

Do bi- and multi-linguals think in more than one language? Do Indians think in French when they visit France, so that they can speak French, better?

"Bridge is coming" is a repeated example of "Found in Translation" that I found in our southern States. Of Dravidian origin?

rainbow said...

some gems from my maths teacher and others.
'dont think i am not an idiot'
one called a plough a 'pluff'
if one is caught laughing, 'class me kyon smiiling face karta hai?'
for an erring student ' i will call the principal and kick *him* out

Rachana Shakyawar said...

@Gopinath Sir

I thought this post was like a second part of your post on 'most hated words'...since both relate to language..Anyways..What a delight reading this post..
I swear!SO much fun coming naa!!
Languages..O yeah..THINK is a new language in your view and in my view a part of my smoky kitchen...I cook so much there 'khayali-pulaao' hehe

Okay..one more language You might like to add..'Body-Language'! The funniest of all of this language you will find between couple...I'm pretty sure U might be having lots of funny encounters of this language too :P


GREAT post as always!!
~ Keep the Spark ALive..

Savitri said...

one of the most memorable quotes comes from the Introduction in an old HINDI text book - 'I can't come to school yaar, my head is eating circles'
the most common ones in a classroom -
1 there are three-three boys on one-one bench.(Konkani?)
2. I didn't axe the Principal.
(thank God!)
3. Meeees, I didn't brought my homework book. (nothing new!)
4 And Miss, I won't able to come tomorrow.
5.Bell rang, Miss!(it always does!)
Thanks Gopi, for the delightful art-tickle. Makes me nostalgic.
God bless you!

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

@Mantis Sure thinking comes before speaking! But unknowingly we think in another language and then translate it into the language we need to speak in.

@rainbow Thanks for your comment and for the gems you have shared with us!

@Rachana Yes - you'll find most of my posts on language trends, new words, etc. it is my fave subject. Body language is something standup comedians would deal with better, not an armchair blogger like me!

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

@Savitri ha ha ha! good ones from you - i ought to have known the best ones would come from English teachers like you! Do let us know if you think of some more - dont mind doing another post with contributed gems!

vk said...

Hilarious! Then there is the Gujju dame at the departmental store
saying"Mane rape kari ne apo"
VK

Priya said...

Awesome post! Rain is falling - great example, I've heard it so many times!!!

I think the most difficult thing for these people is the use of helping verbs. "To kay mhanala?" from Marathi becomes, "What he said?"; people conveniently forget the 'did'!

Then again, I can understand. These people, especially from from schools with regional languages as the main medium, learn very basic English, from very pathetic teachers! The school system should be changed, to start with!

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

@Priya - welcome to my blog! Thanks for your appreciative comment and for sharing your thoughts here!

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

@vk the phenomenon you provided deserves a separate post, i guess!

Jeena R. Papaadi said...

How about "I came by walk"? Not sure if it is a translation gem, though... :)