I have always been wondering whether commuters can demonstrate their ire against errant auto-rickshaw and taxi drivers for refusing to ferry us to the destinations of our choice. Recently I promised a friend to visit him after my office hours to return a book I had borrowed from him. I was refused by no less than 15 autorickshaw drivers to ply to that destination. I called him up and expressed my regret. May be some other day, I assured him.
On another instance, I was with my wife wanting to return home from our shopping expedition, when the same happened. This time around a friendly Traffic cop asked us to get into the next rickshaw that arrived and told us we ought to tell them to take us wherever we want them to go and not ask them whether they would go! It worked. But I just wondered whether if not for his presence, whether our insistence would work? When I tried it out again – it didn’t! I had to get off huffing and puffing at the adamant guy.
When I received some email forwards providing the web-links to the Traffic Police sites where complaints of such nature (including higher fares etc) could be entered for them to take action against errant licensed auto-rickshaws and taxis.
Here are the links:
For Mumbai
For Thane Area
For Navi Mumbai Area
But frankly I did not try them out. Often I foun that these guys cruise past you at a quick pace making it difficult for you to note down their vehicle numbers! We need to hail them to a halt and get in and note down their number before leaving in future!
So one keeps wondering what can we harassed commuters do if the dadagiri-attitude of the licensed service providers continues unabated?
The recent initiative by Three advertising professionals Jaidev Rupani, Rachna Brar and Abhilash Krishnan, by launching the "Meter Jam" campaign on Wednesday is an answer to this question on every Mumbaikar’s mind.
Do read about the Meter Jam campaign in the links below:
Article in Hindustan Times
The Website of Meter Jam Campaign
Facebook Page
and Twitter Page
Do join the Meter Jam campaign – I am certain it is only the beginning – a good one at that – though there is lots to do - perhaps an extended and intensive campaign - to get what we deserve – a better life in Maximum City!
Turning 35
2 months ago
2 comments:
Meter Jam compaign is really commandable & we fully support the cause. Not only refusal , we need to address problem of excess fare/ meter tamperring.
Though Govt.has provided Help Line No.to register your complaints, child,lady,old,new (to area) travellers become victim & pay excess fare.
I suggest the following :
1) Rickshaw / Taxi conventional meters should be replaced with Electronic Meters immediately
2) RTO , instead of waiting for someone to complain for excess fare/tamperred meters, should introduce Meter Checked Certificate (similar to PUC) which should be renewed every six months by authorised agencies.
3) RTO should randomly check Auto/ Taxi meters on daily basis.
4) Meter repairing shops need to maintain proper record of meters repaired by them.
5) Meter repairing shops indulging in tamperring meters should be severly penalised & license should be suspended for repeaters.
Hi Pradeep Ashar, good suggestions - need to be implemented right away!
Post a Comment