Share this blog with your friends and well-wishers!

Friday, January 1, 2010

Aal Eez Naat Well

At the book launch of ‘2 States’ in a Mumbai suburban mall, which I had opportunity to attend, Chetan Bhagat thanked Vidya Balan, (who was a co-host at the Book launch and is, in his own admission, believed to be his harbinger of good fortune) for handing over his earlier book “Five Point Someone” (FPS) to Raju Hirani. Without this, as he put it, the making of the movie titled ‘3 idiots’ wouldn’t have happened! When well-known and reputed Bollywood filmmakers want to make a movie based on your work of fiction, you’ve come a long way! In fact, some writers cannot even find a publisher, let alone movie makers come forth for your piece of fiction, unless it is really worth it.

Firstly, Chetan Bhagat (CB) has done a great deal to writing English fiction, in that he has drawn several youngsters into a habit of reading books – a habit that is on the wane and needed just that kind of boost to draw youngsters back into the book-lovers’ club, as his books have done recently. If fiction-writers and the book publishing industry needed a shot in the arm at this juncture, he has provided just that. Even though there would be several book-lovers, who find Chetan Bhagat not exactly producing great literature, like Salman Rushdie, and kind of, find “masala content” in his work, to spice up his stories making them just the grist for the Bollywood mill. I would still give due credit for what he has successfully achieved – to increase new young readers in India, without really comparing his work to great English literature and scouting for his shortcomings through comparisons.

When several friends praised the latest released movie ‘3 idiots’ for being hugely entertaining, I watched the movie with my family this long weekend. Fortunately, I had read the book FPS recently. As a matter of fact, some book-lovers, known to me, had spoken not-so-highly about CB’s books so I had not been so keen upon reading them. But finally, I did pick up FPS and One Night @ Call Centre from a local library so that I can have my own opinion about his books.

Last evening, when CB and the makers of 3i played tug-of-war on the TV Channels, arguing how much of the movie was the book, I wondered whether there was any software or scientific instrument to measure it? The 3i Team said it was 5% -7% and Chetan Bhagat said it is 70%, based on the feedback he had from his readers of FPS and conveyed to him on his blog. His blogpost does cite the “aal eez naat well” episode in detail here.

Newspapers carry more about the CB-3i spat here

Having read FPS and watched 3I’s, I am obliged to say that it is neither 5% nor 70% it is really 50-50! Now that is not to promote the popular biscuit or its advertisement campaign – that is just my own judgement. Having constructed around the core plot and adding several variations to it does not make it substantially different. I am as much deprived of a scientific instrument to measure the %age of the content of the book in the film, as you all are, so I am quantifying based on my own analysis to arrive at this middle figure. At least i have read it, unlike that poor journalist who got shut up by Vidhu Vinod Chopra yesterday!

The 50% that the movie makers have added is constituted by large doses of humorous incidents (+20%). There is no denying that the script/dialogues has been substantially improved upon by the script writer namely Abhijat Joshi (as I understand) (+15%) and the message to take up a vocation that suits students has been punctuated to a greater extent (+15%), has lent the storyline greater credibility and structure to stand upon.

But if one analyses the humorous content, one may find several jokes and instances straight from the email forwards that one has received - all without credits by anonymous writers that dwell upon this planet and do not aspire to claim ‘credit’ for their gems among jokes – like how the induction motor works, or the pencil in space or the women clad in burkhas being photographed etc – are from email forwards. So the 20% added humour is not original! I did laugh at them, I must admit, though. But the subject is about originality, right?

To conclude, let me cite an anecdote on originality. An aspiring writer once sent in his write-up to a reputed writer, who responded thus “Your piece is both interesting and original”. The young chap was pleased – albeit for a short while. “But the original part is not interesting and the interesting part is not original”, he added to his horror!

The makers of ‘3 idiots’ may have to credit the core plot to CB and also consider giving credit to the countless anonymous joke contributors for making the movie so much fun to watch! Only then can they sing and dance “Aal eez Well”

Keeping the credit stuff aside, it is really a great entertaining movie to watch!
I enjoyed watching it!

Blogger’s Post-script:
1. Rashmi Bansal (author of the book 'Stay Hungry Stay Foolish') has this to say about the episode. I wanted to say the same thing too but didnt have the details.
Do read it in her "Lucky Idiot" post here
2.Tweeple have been voicing their views on Twitter saying
“Controversy is the new advertising” and
“There is no such thing as bad publicity”.
Search for the hashtag #30millionpointfiveidiots on twitter!

Wishing all my readers a Very Happy, Safe, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year 2010!

I do hope that Aaal eeez Well, folks!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each to his own I say... I havent read any of CB's books so I wont judge... I have been reading various versions of comparisons of the movie and the novel... and sigh... nevermind but I loved watching the movie... and yes... most of the jokes in the movie... are not new, infact even the pranks are all almost known... but the movie has a nostalgi appeal... if also connects to one and all I guess... to people like me who were in college and hostel once... !!!

a good watch... and now we watch the controversy !

swaps said...

Was 'Pyaasa' made in Bollywood, by an Indian , in Hindi, ...was it an Indian movie at all?? Where are Indians with talent and self-respect to match (the former). SIGH.

Only 3?... indeed!!

Sraboney said...

Moral of the spat: "Writers, please be more worldly and get a watertight contract made and signed before you hand over your work to a filmmaker"

Mavin said...

I watched the movie and felt that it was definitely entertaining.

CB may be feeling he got less considering that the movie has been a run-away success commercially.

He has a contract for sale of movie rights and has got the money....so why crib??

It may be a smart move to get more sales of his book now that lakhs of people have seen it.

As you have mentioned a good controversy is always healthy from a commercial view point.

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

Hitchwriter, you're right let us continue to get entertained on TV channels through their controversies!

Swaps, our Bollywood only gets inspired from other flicks - now that is very Indian, isnt it?

Sraboney, yes we need better agreement writing now!

Mavin, surely the movie was hugely entertaining as i have already said. Rashmi Bansal has said what i could not add due to lack of details - even Slumdog Millionaire scriptwriter attributed his success to the book writer in his acceptance speech. Saying it was 5-7% based on the book is absolutely unwarranted.

Vinod_Sharma said...

Looks like CB had no idea that his book would transform into a runaway Bollywood hit. That is why he signed it away for Rs 11 lakhs - must have been bragging about it then.

It is not easy seeing others rake in many crores out of your work. May be the producers should give him a generous bonus now. CB is angling for that, for increased sales of his books and for a much higher fee in future. Can't blame him.

But both parties have shown that when it comes to money, grace is often preceded by three alphabets!

Gopinath Mavinkurve said...

Absolutely, Vinodji. CB must've learnt much about contracts and rolling credits in the process too! A billion idiots can fall for the 3 wise men in the bargain.

BK Chowla, said...

Let us look it at technically.CB has been paid for the copyright and VC has given CB the rolling credit.
What is worrying CB is that the hell did he not negotiate a better price.

Sorcerer said...

its quiet a good movie..
and yeah..now the way the ppl are fighting over it is also ..quiet a good watch

Jean said...

I think the theme ("the Futility of chasing Success") and the engineering college setting are from the book, the rest of it is largely modified (There is no 10-years-later in the book, is there? I read it a couple of years ago, and may be mistaken). So the dispute really is, how much percentage does one choose to give for the theme?

I think the movie is definitely an entertainer and a one-time-watch; especially if you are an engineering college alumnus. I went with one of my engg college friends, and we even remarked on how the hostel rooms and cots looked similar :D

But the World has not yet finished dissecting the movie, and the book has not yet gone out of print ;)

prerna said...

I have read all the CB books, they are fun to read,nothing more than that.About what %of 3 idiots is from the book I agree with you it is 50%.
After Raju Hirani presented the contract signed by CB to the media, it is clear that CB has no reason to complain.
Very well written post as always.